What is Event Marketing? (Definition)
A quick look up on your favorite search engine will show that various companies have very different perspectives on the definition of event marketing.
Depending where you look, you might find two completely different definitions for the phrase "Event Marketing."
What is the Definition of Event Marketing?
After some research, both online and offline, I’ve been able to boil down event marketing into the two definitions below . . .
Event Marketing - Definition #1:
The use of traditional or new media to promote, market, or advertise an event. Various forms of marketing and advertising are used to entice people to attend an event. Event types could include anything from not for profit fundraisers to sporting events, conventions, fundraisers, seminars, festivals, workshops, air shows, and many more.
Event Marketing - Definition #2:
Using an event, such as tradeshows, to engage prospective consumers, build awareness, or market a company’s products and services. One of the simplest examples is trade show marketing. Your business purchases booth space and presents your company’s products or services to trade show attendees. Some companies rephrase this definition of event marketing as event-based marketing.
The second definition of event marketing is best embodied in Ruth Stevens' book “Trade Show & Event Marketing: Plan, Promote & Profit.”
Two Definitions - One Universal
Even though there are two different definitions of event marketing, this is one universal concept ... the fundamentals of sales and marketing NEVER change. You are far better off focusing on the psychology of marketing, as opposed to trying to adopt and integrate the latest whiz-bang technology. Ultimately, your sales and marketing success comes down to generating measurable results that improve your business.
Here's a great video to get you started on the fundamentals with supporting articles specifically for events:
For the purpose of this web page I present ideas and strategies for the kind of event marketing found above in Definition #1. Hopefully the information above helps clear up some of the apparent confusion.
Want to get more great info? Check out the articles below:
- Why Well Planned Events Fail
- How to Get Them To Your Event
- Getting Them to Buy Tickets Early
- Turn Your Event Into an Experience
- Leveraging Your Sponsor's Digital Resources
- The BIGGEST Secret to a Successful Event
- How to Execute a Publicity Stunt to Near Perfection
- Ideas to Sell More Tickets for Your Next Event
- The Most Important Reason to Sell Tickets Online
- “Where Should I Advertise My Event?”
- Horrid Event Marketing Mistake: Confusing Art with Results
- A Persuasive Design Example for Promoting Your Event
- The Event Promotion System - Get Free Event Promotion & Marketing Video Training