Technology tends to complicate things. This is especially true online. With all the technology available it is difficult to know where to start. Anyone with a web site should strive to keep things as simple as possible for the user.
A KISS Mentality
The old adage “Keep It Simple Stupid” is great advice when it comes to all aspects of creating web pages. Users will always choose the simplest route. Provided a web site could be trusted and provides you what you were looking for, where would you spent your money?
- A web site that is complex and difficult to use.
- A web site that is simple and to the point.
Always put yourself in the user’s frame of mind. Is there something that you can do on your web site to make it easier to use or understand?
Simple usability questions to ask:
- Can the users easily understand the web site in under 15 seconds?
- Is the navigation easy to use and intuitive?
- Do the pictures and photographs match the context of the web site?
- Does the navigation placement and function stay constant throughout the site?
- If you have an online store, is the checkout process short and streamlined?
- Can users easily determine what’s clickable on each page?
- Is the user provided easy to find and reliable contact information?
Want to get more great info? Check out the articles below:
- What is Web Usability? And Why You Should Care . . .
- Web Usability: The Importance of Balancing Content and Graphic Design
- Hitting a HOME RUN with Your Web Site
- Don’t Pollute Your Web Site
- Do You Make These Usability Mistakes?
- Objectivity Paves the Way to Online Success
- LCU (Least Competent User) Usability Testing
- Web Usability - ALERT! Dominant Users and Focus Groups
- The Event Promotion System
Get Your Free Event Promotion & Marketing Video Training