It is nice to see that Flash has finally grown up. One of the biggest advantages that came with Flash was the enhanced ability to do video. YouTube.com delivers hundreds of millions of videos with Flash. A number of top news sites deliver streaming video with Flash.
Being cool with your web site isn't always desirable. After a few visits, the novelty of a cool web site starts to wear off. Look at web sites that don't have all the bells and whistles. There is nothing cool about Google, Yahoo, or any of the top news sites. Yet, they are the most popular sites on the Internet. Top Internet sites provide high quality content, mostly in HTML text. Always remember, users seek content, not cool. If you want to be cool, strike a balance with useful.
My issues with Flash is how people use (abuse) it. If you are going to use Flash, use it in moderation. A few video files or online presentations are a nice addition to any site. I don't recommend designing significant parts of your site's architecture around Flash, especially navigation. Make sure you have plenty of HTML text. Search engine spiders eat up HTML text. The same spiders don't do well with Flash. The lack of HTML text makes it very difficult for them to interpret Flash.
Flash definitely isn't going away, so if you are going to use it, use it wisely.
Flash: 99% Bad
Want to get more great info? Check out the articles below:
- What is Web Usability? And Why You Should Care . . .
- Web Usability: The Importance of Balancing Content and Graphic Design
- Hitting a HOME RUN with Your Web Site
- Don’t Pollute Your Web Site
- Do You Make These Usability Mistakes?
- Objectivity Paves the Way to Online Success
- LCU (Least Competent User) Usability Testing
- Web Usability - ALERT! Dominant Users and Focus Groups
- The Event Promotion System
Get Your Free Event Promotion & Marketing Video Training